Jim represents growth and mid-stage clients in emerging and established industries on complex transactions and ownership transfers. By executing intricate transfers of ownership, equity investments and acquisitions, corporate divestitures and joint ventures, Jim helps companies realize operational synergies, business objectives and strategic growth. He also advises individual and institutional clients on investing in and transacting with corporate incubators supporting domestic and foreign proprietary and high-frequency trading firms and related service providers.
Corporate Venture and Roll-Ups
Jim is an innovator in the corporate venture space, working with multibillion-dollar pharmaceutical, medical device and other health care companies to support strategic business plays. He is a frequent speaker at the Global Corporate Venturing & Innovation Summit (GCVI), the leading corporate venture forum.
Companies and private equity firms seeking economies of scale often turn to Jim for counsel on roll-up transactions. Jim has advised Ascensus, the nation’s largest independent retirement and college savings services provider, in over 30 acquisitions, including its purchases of Nyhart, United Retirement Plan Consultants, Provident Trust Group and Upromise Investments.
Jim served as a research assistant in the United Kingdom's House of Commons and as an intern on Capitol Hill.
- Representation of the sale of an iconic high fashion modeling and talent agency
- Representation of Legrand North and Central America, an electrical and digital building infrastructure company, in its acquisitions of Milestone AV Technologies, a leading designer and manufacturer of branded AV products for both the consumer and commercial AV markets; Pinnacle Architectural Lighting, an architectural lighting solution provider; Luxul Wireless, an audio/video infrastructure products for residential buildings and small- to mid-size commercial buildings; and Raritan, a provider of data center infrastructure solutions
- Representation of ENSO LP and affiliates, providers of data analytics to financial institutions, in its equity sale to ICAP plc
- Representation of a manufacturer of chemicals and raw materials in its acquisition of a manufacturer of consumer plastic goods
- Representation of Merck Global Health Innovation Fund in various emerging company equity investments and acquisitions
- Representation of Strategic Products and Services, a systems integrator and managed service solutions company, in connection with its acquisitions of Adcap Network Systems, a unified communications provider, and ExtraTeam, an information technology solution provider
- Representation of a privately held truck leasing, transportation and logistics company in various strategic acquisitions
- Representation of Cape Advisors in negotiation of joint ventures and consummation of equity raises and financing of multiple $100 million residential real estate developments in Manhattan
- Representation of Cape Resorts, a division of Cape Advisors, in refinancing of Congress Hall Hotel and equity raises in Cape May, New Jersey
- Representation of The Hampshire Companies in negotiation of joint ventures and consummation of equity raises of multiple real estate development projects located in New Jersey
- Representation of a private equity firm in the sale of a multinational manufacturer in the transportation sector
- Representation of a financial services company in connection with corporate organizational matters, including transfers of ownership securities and the admission of new securityholders, as well as in connection with its acquisition of a municipal securities “broker’s broker"
- Representation of a privately held IT consulting firm in its sale to an international company that specializes in insurance-related IT solutions
- Representation of a publicly traded company in connection with multiple divestitures of business segments that provide military and civilian aircraft components and other parts and metal forming machines
- Representation of a private label tea and coffee company based in the United Kingdom in the acquisition of a U.S.-based natural ingredients supplier
- Representation of Ascensus, the nation’s largest independent retirement plan services provider, in connection with its acquisition of Sallie Mae’s 529 college savings plan administrator, Upromise Investments
- Representation of a privately held strategic buyer of a business that provides administrative, compliance, operational, training and marketing services and solutions to support federally or state chartered credit unions in the United States offering, among other things, Individual Retirement Accounts, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, Simplified Employee Plans and Health Savings Accounts
- Representation of medical device design and manufacturing business in connection with its sale to a robotic-assisted surgery company
- Representation of Cott Corp., a NYSE listed corporation, of a private label fruit juice business based in Dunkirk, N.Y.
- Representation of a joint venture between strategic and financial partners in the formation of an incubator of high frequency trading teams within the Foreign Currency, Fixed Income and Commodities spaces