Real Estate Development
Jon represents clients in all aspects of real estate development — including structuring deals, land acquisitions, zoning and planning, financings, and workouts. He has been lead counsel on numerous significant real estate projects throughout New Jersey and New York, including the acquisition and restoration of the grand historic beachfront Congress Hall Hotel in Cape May, the 544-unit Alexan CityView luxury apartment complex at Bayonne Harbor, the zoning approvals for an 800,000-square-foot expansion of the Quaker Bridge Mall, and several luxury multifamily developments in lower Manhattan.
Jon helps developers and lenders navigate regulatory and business challenges, from the formation of a development entity, site acquisition and financing through the sale, syndication, workout or restructuring of any type of real estate project. He also advises on redevelopment projects and land-use matters in municipalities throughout New Jersey, focusing on contested-land-use cases. Jon has represented local, regional and national developers — large and small — as well as several national multifamily residential developers, financial institutions, title companies, brokers, hotel operators and property managers.
- Representation of a developer in a $350 million senior, mezzanine and equity financing for a 534-unit luxury multifamily rental apartment community in Astoria Queens, NY, which also included representation on joint ventures between the developer and equity investors.
- Representation of Cape Advisors in the acquisition, equity raise and financing of multiple $100 million residential real estate developments in Manhattan
- New Jersey counsel for Mill Creek Residential Trust on multi-family residential developments throughout New Jersey
- Representation of American Real Estate Partners on approvals in connection with Bank of America/Merrill Lynch World Headquarters office campus in Hopewell, NJ
- Representation of Trammell Crow Residential on multi-family development projects, including $150 million 544 unit Alexan CityView Redevelopment Project on the Peninsula at Bayonne Bay Harbor
- Warehousing and production facility leasing for QPSI
- Representation of joint venture involving Whitehall funds, Och-Ziff and Cape Advisors on $80 million financing and acquisition of Atlantic City casino hotel site
- Representation of developer on acquisition and financing of Chelsea Hotel in Atlantic City
- Representation of NHP/AIMCO on Windsor Crossing multi-family residential and shopping center, East Windsor, NJ
Commercial and Real Estate Litigation
Jon’s litigation experience distinguishes him from many of his fellow transactional lawyers. He represents developers, lenders and corporate and individual clients in commercial litigation, with an emphasis on real estate matters, including prerogative writ actions and commercial foreclosures. Jon has argued multiple complex cases before the New Jersey Appellate Division and three cases before the New Jersey Supreme Court.
Jon also handles general corporate litigation, including oppressed shareholder cases, partnership disputes and business breakups of real estate ventures, and all types of privately held businesses.
- Lead counsel for Bayonne Residential Limited Partnership (an AIG/Trammell Crow Residential joint venture) on $100 million claim against the Port Authority of NY & NJ, Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority and City of Bayonne for breach of a Redevelopment Agreement and violation of New Jersey Redevelopment Law
- Defense of Princeton University in multiple cases challenging various governmental approvals for the University’s $325 million Arts and Transit Project
- Successful defense of Albridge Solutions in founder shareholder oppression litigation enabling the Company to sell for over $300 million
- New Jersey commercial foreclosure counsel for Fannie Mae
- Successful defense of Penn Mutual Insurance Company in lender liability claims arising out of foreclosures of commercial properties
- Counsel to NHP/AIMCO in its capacity as receiver on multiple foreclosure actions involving 35 apartment complexes in several states securing over $300 million
- Successful representation of numerous “business divorce” actions involving real estate development ventures, energy companies, software businesses, retail businesses, law firms, wealth management companies and title companies
- Seton Hall University School of Law — Former Adjunct Professor, Civil Litigation Clinic
Jon is an avid golfer and a proud assistant to his cinematographer daughter at NFL Films.