Faegre Drinker is seeking an Advisor-level government relations professional to work with our nationally-recognized health and life sciences federal policy, advocacy and consulting team in our Washington D.C. office. The ideal candidate will have 2 to 5 years of experience working in a legislative role in Capitol Hill or commensurate public policy experience, including in a trade association, patient advocacy organization, corporate or other government relations function.
You will be part of a dynamic bipartisan team dedicated to client activities focused on Congress, federal departments and agencies. Our firm provides a creative, collegial and high-energy workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We serve clients spanning the health care sector, including providers, patient advocacy groups, research organizations, product manufacturers, health professional societies and trade associations.
What you would do in this job:
- Provide prompt, in-depth, client-ready written analyses of complex health policy issues.
- Draft an array of written advocacy and policy materials, including talking points, fact sheets, issue briefs, Congressional and agency correspondence, regulatory comments, action alerts, hearing summaries, and legislative summaries and analyses.
- Research and understand laws, regulations, and agency and legislative actions – including impending or potential actions and their impact on client interests.
- Monitor and report on the Congressional legislative process including bill introductions, Congressional hearings, and other activity.
- Monitor and flag relevant news and developments, including activity on legislation and regulations of interest, issuance of reports by government and non-governmental entities and related tasks.
- Support multiple client projects concurrently, including tracking workstreams, setting call and meeting agendas, summarizing calls and meetings, particularly action items, and other similar activities.
- Advocate and communicate effectively, creatively and concisely in oral and written communications.
- Participate in meetings, videoconferences, and teleconferences with team members as well as with clients.
- Support team business development efforts, including research on potential new clients, drafting proposal content and related activities.
- Anticipate – and take action to address – client needs and potential policy developments.
- Work hard as an integral part of a team focused on achieving concrete results for clients.
Position Expectations & Requirements
- 2 to 5 years of professional experience including working for at least two years on health policy issues on Capitol Hill, within a federal agency or other health-related entity.
- Proven understanding of the federal legislative process.
- Superior written and oral communications abilities, including the ability to clearly summarize a range of health policy issues.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and clients in a team-based and fast-paced environment.
- Strong commitment to client service including the need to at times work outside normal business hours.
- Desire to work in a collaborative environment that emphasizes diversity and inclusion as core values.
- Ability to problem solve and use sound judgment and creativity.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, including managing multiple concurrent projects and exercising good judgment with respect to managing priorities.
Activities undertaken in this role will require registration under the Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA).
- Opportunities to advance and grow while working with and being mentored by nationally recognized colleagues.
- Variety of health plan options, as well as dental and vision plans.
- Hybrid work policy that embraces flexibility along with performance provides generous paid time off.
- Tuition reimbursement and other professional development support.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Faegre Drinker is a top 50 firm designed for clients with more than 1,300 experienced attorneys, consultants and professionals in 21 locations across the United States, United Kingdom and China. The firm’s federal policy, advocacy and consulting team is a full-service government relations practice, comprised of 25 professionals in the firm’s Washington, D.C., office.
Faegre Drinker is seeking a Director level consultant to join our Federal Policy, Advocacy & Consulting (FPAC) Team based in Washington, D.C. This is a unique opportunity to join a government relations practice at an AmLaw 50 law firm, serving and managing existing and future healthcare-focused government relations clients spanning the sectors such as health and hospital systems, patient advocacy organizations, biopharmaceutical manufacturers and health technology companies.
The ideal candidate will have worked in a healthcare policy role on Capitol Hill, preferably for a member on a relevant Congressional committee and/or possess commensurate experiences that demonstrate competency in federal healthcare policy and advocacy, including a track record of achieving results and working in a bipartisan manner.
This position requires registration as a federal lobbyist under the Lobbying Disclosure Act.
Candidates should also possess:
- Superior written and oral communications abilities, including the ability to deliver information to both internal and external recipients and to persuade recipients to accept a point of view.
- A strong understanding of the federal legislative and regulatory processes relevant to healthcare issues, including experience with relevant agencies within the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Ability to think critically including the ability to anticipate and address potential challenges or impediments.
- Ability to understand and synthesize complex policy issues.
- Ability to manage multiple client priorities concurrently.
- Demonstrated willingness to work hard, do what it takes, and drive toward results.
- A track record of working effectively in teams while being able to operate independent to execute on deliverables.
Integrity, commitment to teamwork, top notch organizational skills, a passion for energy & environmental policy, and a passion for responsive client service, including outside regular business hours, are required. Our firm provides a creative, collegial, and high-energy workplace committed to providing exceptional service as well as a dedicated career advancement path and a commitment to fostering a work environment that emphasizes diversity, equity and inclusion as core values.